Search This Blog

Soseki Natsume: I am a Cat(吾輩は猫である)(2)


(2)


その草くさの中なかから、やっと這はい出だすと

向むこうに大おおきな池いけがある。

After a struggle, I managed to scramble clear of the clump and emerged to find a wide pond stretching beyond it.


吾輩わがはいは、池いけの前まえに座すわって

どうしよう、と考かんがえた。

I sat at the edge of the pond and wondered what to do.


別べつに、良よい考かんがえも浮うかばない。

No helpful thought occurred.


しばらくして

鳴ないていたら書生しょせいがまた来きてくれるかもしれない、

と思おもった。

After a while it struck me that, if I cried, perhaps the might come back to fetch me.


それで、ニャー、ニャーと鳴ないてみたが

誰だれも来こない。

I tried some feeble mewing, but no one came.


そのうちに、

池いけの上うえに、さらさらと風かぜが吹ふき、

日ひが暮くれ始はじめた。

Soon a light wind blew across the pond and it began to grow dark.


腹はらが非常ひじょうに減へって来きた。

I felt extremely hungry.


鳴なきたくても、もう声こえが出でない。

I wanted to cry, but I was too weak to do so.


仕方しかたがない、何なんでもよいから食たべ物もののあるところまで、あるこう

と、決心けっしんをして

ゆっくりと、池いけを左ひだりに回まわり始はじめた。

There was nothing to be done. However, having decided that I simply must find food, I turned, very, very slowly, left around the pond.


非常ひじょうに苦くるしかった。

It was extremely painful going.


それを我慢がまんして、あるいて行いくと

ようやく、人間にんげんのいそうな場所ばしょへ出でた。

Nevertheless, I persevered and crawled on somehow until at long last I reached a place where my nose picked up some trace of human presence.


ここへ入はいったら、

何なんとかなるだろう、と思おもって

竹たけの生いけ垣がきが、崩くずれかけた穴あなから、

ある家いえの中なかに入はいり込こんだ。

(生いけ垣がき:hedge)
I slipped into a property through a gap in a broken bamboo fence, thinking that something might turn up once I got inside.


偶然ぐうぜんというのは不思議ふしぎなもので、

もし、この生いけ垣がきが壊こわれていなかったら、

吾輩わがはいは、ついに、行いく場所ばしょがないまま、

食たべるものもなくて、道みちばたで死しんでしまったのかもしれない。

(道みちばた:roadside)
It was sheer chance; if the bamboo fence had not been broken just at that point, I might have starved to death at the roadside.


この生いけ垣がきの穴あなに助たすけられた。


この穴あなは、今いまでも、

吾輩わがはいが隣となりの家いえの三毛みけを訪問ほうもんする時ときに使つかっている。

(三毛みけ(三毛猫みけねこ):a tortoise-shell cat)
To this very day that gap has served as my shortcut to the neighbor's tortoiseshell.


さて家いえの中なかに入はいり込こんだが、

次つぎに、どうすればよいのか、わからない。

Well, though I had managed to creep into the property, I had no idea what to do next.


そのうちに暗くらくなる、腹はらは減へる、寒さむい、

それに、雨あめも降ふって来きた。

Soon it got really dark. I was hungry, it was cold and rain began to fall.


早はやく、何なんとかしなければならない。

I could not afford to lose any more time.


仕方しかたがないから、とにかく、

明あかるくて暖あたたかそうな方ほうに向むかって

歩あるいて行いく。

I had no choice but to struggle toward a place which seemed, since brighter, warmer.


今いまから考かんがえると

その時とき、すでに、建物たてものの中なかに入はいっていたようだ。

I did not know it then, but I was in fact already inside the house


ここで、吾輩わがはいは、また、人間にんげんに出会であう。

where I now had a chance to observe further specimens of humankind.


第一だいいちに会あったのが、おさんである。

(おさん:maid, 台所だいどころで働はたらく女性じょせい)


これは、最初さいしょに出会であった書生しょせい(学生がくせい)よりも、

さらに乱暴らんぼうで

吾輩わがはいを見みるとすぐに、吾輩わがはいの首くびの後うしろをつかんで

外そとへ放ほうり出だした。

The first one that I met was O-san, the servant-woman, one of a species yet more savage than the shosei. No sooner had she seen me than she grabbed me by the scruff of the neck and flung me out of the house.


いや、これは駄目だめだ

と思おもったから、目めをつぶって、

運うんを天てんにまかせて、じっとしていた。

Accepting that I had no hope, I lay stone-still, my eyes shut tight and trusting to Providence.
(運うん:fate, destiny)
(天てん:God)
(運うんを天てんにまかせる:状況じょうきょうにまかせること)


しかし、腹はらはすくし、寒さむい。

もう我慢がまんできない。

But the hunger and the cold were more than I could bear.


吾輩わがはいは、また、

おさんのすきを狙ねらって、台所だいどころへ入はいり込こんだ。

Seizing a moment when O-san had relaxed her watch, I crawled up once again to flop into the kitchen.


すると、また、おさんに見みつかって、

投なげ出だされた。

I was soon flung out again.


吾輩わがはいは投なげ出だされては、入はいり込こみ、

入はいり込こんでは、投なげ出だされた。

I crawled up yet again, only to be flung out yet again.


そんなことを、四五回しごかい繰くり返かえしたのを覚おぼえている。

I remember that the process was several times repeated.


その時ときに

おさんという人間にんげんが、とても嫌きらいになった。

Ever since that time, I have been utterly disgusted with this O-san person.


最近さいきん、おさんのサンマを盗ぬすんでやって

仕返しかえしをしたので、

何なんとか気持きもちがおさまった。

(サンマ:a saury)
(仕返しかえし:revenge)
The other day I managed at long last to rid myself of my sense of grievance, for I squared accounts by stealing her dinner of mackerel-pike.


吾輩わがはいが、最後さいごに、つまみ出だされそうになったときに、

この家うちの主人しゅじんが出でてきて、

騒々そうぞうしい、何なんだ?

と言いった。

(主人しゅじん:husband; the head of a family)
(騒々そうぞうしい:noisy)
As I was about to be flung out for the last time, the master of the house appeared, complaining of the noise and demanding an explanation.


おさんは、

吾輩わがはいをぶら下さげて

主人しゅじんの方ほうへ向むけると

この小ちいさな野良猫のらねこが、いくら外そとに放ほうり出だしても

台所だいどころに入はいってきて、困こまります

と言いった。

(野良猫のらねこ:a stray cat)
The servant lifted me up, turned my face to the master and said, “This little stray kitten is being a nuisance. I keep putting it out and it keeps crawling back into the kitchen.”


主人しゅじんは、

吾輩わがはいの顔かおを眺ながめながら

しばらく、何なにか考かんがえていたが、

やがて

それなら家うちで飼かってやれ

と言いって、奥おくの部屋へやに入はいってしまった。

The master briefly studied my face. Then, “In that case, let it stay,” he said; and turned and went inside.


この家うちの主人しゅじんは、

あまり話はなしをしないようだった。

The master seemed to be a person of few words.


おさんは、悔くやしそうに

吾輩わがはいを台所だいどころへ放はなした。

(悔くやしい:to be frustrated; to be disappointed)
The servant resentfully threw me down in the kitchen.


このようにして、吾輩わがはいは、ついに

この家うちで暮くらすことになったのである。

And it was thus that I came to make this house my dwelling.


⇒ 吾輩わがはいは猫ねこである(3)


⇒ 吾輩わがはいは猫ねこである(1)