Search This Blog

Soseki Natsume: I am a Cat(吾輩は猫である)(1)


吾輩わがはいは猫ねこである(一)(I Am a Cat)


(1)


吾輩わがはいは猫ねこである。名前なまえはまだ無ない。

(吾輩わがはい:私わたし、I)
I am a cat. As yet I have no name.


どこで生うまれたのか、

まったくわからない。

I've no idea where I was born.


とにかく、薄暗うすぐらいところで、

ニャーニャー鳴ないていたことだけは記憶きおくしている。

All I remember is that I was miaowing in a dark place


吾輩わがはいは、ここで初はじめて

人間にんげんというものを見みた。

when, for the first time, I saw a human being.


しかも、あとで聞きくと、

それは書生しょせい(学生がくせい)というもので、

人間にんげんの中なかでは、一番いちばん悪わるい人ひとたちだそうだ。

This human being, I heard afterwards, was a member of the most ferocious human species; a shosei, one of those students who, in return for board and lodging, perform small chores about the house.


彼かれらは、時々ときどき我々われわれを捕つかまえて

煮にて食たべるらしい。

(煮にる:to boil)
I hear that, on occasion, this species catches, boils, and eats us.


しかし、その時ときは、そんなことを知しらなかったので、

別べつに恐おそろしいとも思おもわなかった。

However as at that time I lacked all knowledge of such creatures, I did not feel particularly frightened.


ただ彼かれの手てのひらに載のせられて

スーと持もち上あげられた時とき

何なんだかフワフワした感かんじがしただけである。

(手てのひら:palm)
I simply felt myself floating in the air as I was lifted up lightly on his palm.


手てのひらの上うえで少すこし落おちつくと

吾輩わがはいは、

その人間にんげんの顔かおを見みた。

When I accustomed myself to that position, I looked at his face.


この時とき初はじめて

人間にんげんの顔かおというものを見みたのである。

This must have been the very first time that ever I set eyes on a human being.


吾輩わがはいは、奇妙きみょうなものだと思おもった。

その感かんじは

今いまでも残のこっている。

The impression of oddity, which I then received, still remains today.


第一だいいち、普通ふつうは毛けで覆おおわれているはずの顔かおが

つるつるしている。

まるで、やかんだ。

(やかん:kettle)
First of all, the face that should be decorated with hair is as bald as a kettle.


その後ご、いろいろな猫ねこにあったが、

こんな奇妙きみょうな顔かおの猫ねこにあったことは一度いちどもない。

Since that day I have met many a cat but never have I come across such deformity.


それだけではない。


顔かおの真まん中なかが、ひどく飛とび出だしている。


そうして、

その穴あなの中なかから、時々ときどき、ぷうぷうと煙けむりを吐はき出だす。

The center of the face protrudes excessively and sometimes, from the holes in that protuberance, smoke comes out in little puffs.


吾輩わがはいは、

その煙けむりのせいで、息いきができず、ひどく苦くるしかった。


これが、人間にんげんの吸すうタバコというものだと

知しったのは、最近さいきんのことだ。

I was originally somewhat troubled by such exhalations for they made me choke, but I learnt only recently that it was the smoke of burnt tobacco which humans like to breathe.


吾輩わがはいは、

この人間にんげんの手てのひらの上うえで

少すこしの間あいだ、気持きもちよく座すわっていたが

しばらくすると、とても速はやいスピードで動うごき始はじめた。

For a little while I sat comfortably in that creature's palm, but things soon developed at a tremendous speed.


人間にんげんが動うごくのか、自分じぶんだけが動うごくのか

わからないが、

とにかく、あまりにも動うごくので、目めが回まわる。

(目めが回まわる:to feel giddy)


気分きぶんが悪わるくなる。

I could not tell whether the shosei was in movement or whether it was only I that moved; but anyway I began to grow quite giddy, to feel sick.


これは、死しぬかもしれないと思おもっていると

どさりと音おとがして

目めから火ひが出でた。

And just as I was thinking that the giddiness would kill me, I heard a thud and saw a million stars.
(目めから火ひが出でる:強つよく頭あたまを打うった時ときに、光ひかりが見みえること)


どこかへ投なげ捨すてられたようだ。

(投なげ捨すてる:to throw away)


それまでは、覚おぼえているが、

あとは、何なにが起おきたのか、思おもい出だせない。

Thus far I can remember but, however hard I try, I cannot recollect anything thereafter.


ふと気きが付ついてみると人間にんげんはいない。

When I came to myself, the creature had gone.


たくさんいた吾輩わがはいの兄弟きょうだいも

一匹いっぴきも見みえない。

I had at one time had a basketful of brothers, but now not one could be seen.


大事だいじな母親ははおやの姿すがたさえ見みえない。

Even my precious mother had disappeared.


しかも、今いままでいたところと違ちがって

ひどく明あかるい。

Moreover I now found myself in a painfully bright place most unlike that nook where once I'd sheltered.


目めを開あけていられないほどだ。

It was in fact so bright that I could hardly keep my eyes open.


どうしたのだろう、と思おもって

のそのそ這はい出だしてみると

非常ひじょうに痛いたい。

(這はう:to crawl)
Sure that there was something wrong, I began to crawl about. Which proved painful.


吾輩わがはいは、

やわらかい藁わらの上うえから

急きゅうに、

笹ささの原はらっぱに捨すてられていたのである。

(藁わら:straw)
(笹ささ:bamboo grass)
I had been snatched away from softest straw only to be pitched with violence into a prickly clump of bamboo grass.


⇒ 吾輩わがはいは猫ねこである(2)